Tuesday, December 5, 2023

2023 Card-vent Calendar: December 4

December 4, 2023:
1994 Upper Deck Collector's Choice #80 Royce Clayton
I love Clayton's expression and body language on this card.  It just screams, "Dafuq you just call that ball a strike for?!?!"

Clayton spent one season with my team (2003) during the period known as "The Milwaukee Brewers: The Dismal Years," but he gets a lifetime pass for getting into a 2000 shoving match with Chad Curtis after Curtis took umbrage with Royce's choice of clubhouse rap music.  If you know anything about Curtis, you know how easy it is to side with Clayton in this dust-up.
That's all I got for tonight.  If you have the opportunity, give someone the Royce Clayton staredown this week.

4 comments:

  1. I seem to remember him being a good defensive shortstop, but I'm not motivated enough to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following this event for years. I love it. It's always very entertaining. But I feel like I've missed where these cards come from. Did you select from your own collection? Has a third party assembled these cards and sent them to you? Did Ed Lynch himself come down your chimney on the first Lynchmas to bequeath to you the ultimate eclectic pile of cardboard? What's the CARD-VENT origin story?

    BS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back in the early 90's... I thought Clayton was going to be the next Bay Area superstar. Pretty sure I hoarded his Bowman rookie cards.

    ReplyDelete