Wednesday, December 20, 2023

2023 Card-vent Calendar: December 19

December 19, 2023:
1994 Pinnacle #509 Bo Jackson
Wow, sometimes you look at a card and have absolutely no recollection of that guy playing for that team.  While it's much easier to remember Bo playing for the White Sox during a few post-football seasons, Bo in an Angels jersey is just mystifying to me.  It makes sense, though.  Jackson played in only 75 games for the Angels before the season was ended by the strike.  In 1994 I was buying very few cards, just some Donruss (beautiful, underrated set) and maybe a little bit of Topps.  And in 1995 I bought absolutely nothing.  So yeah, Bo Jackson on the California Angels would have passed me over completely if not for baseball cards.  They're a wonderful chronicle of the game, something that's mostly missing from today's hobby.
So what's your favorite "That guy played for them???" example?

3 comments:

  1. John Unitas as a San Diego Charger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say Rickey Henderson with the Angels. I can list out all of the other teams he's played for... but never remember his days in Anaheim. In fact... I had to look up his Baseball Reference page to figure out it was the Angels.

    ReplyDelete