Wednesday, December 13, 2023

2023 Card-vent Calendar: December 13

December 13, 2023:
1993-94 Fleer Ultra #371 Dominique Wilkins
Pit hair, a ton of it, set against the majesty of Old Glory.

I feel that basketball cards tend to shy away from copious amounts of pit hair.  It's always there (excepting those seasons Adam Silver had everyone trying out the shirseys), but rarely takes center stage.  Good on you, Fleer, for making the sweatiest part of the male body something to be celebrated.

Actually this is not the most armpit hair ever to be featured on a card.  That title belongs to the 1986 Garbage Pail Kid Shaggy Aggie.  If you can think of any other contenders, share 'em below.

7 comments:

  1. The Human Highlight Film. Robbed of a Slam Dunk Contest title because it was in Chicago.
    I have a lot of his cards, but I tend to avoid horizontals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish more people knew about Wilkins being robbed that year. He was objectively better in that contest.

      Delete
  2. Whenever I think of pit hair in general, I can’t help but think of Kevin McHale. My favorite cards spotlighting his shaggy underarms are, of course, 87 Fleer, 90 Fleer and 91 Hoops. But I think the hidden gem of hirsute axilla is actually the back of his 92 Upper Deck card. He very well may have been part Wookie.

    BS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hal Reniff's 1965 Topps card may be the most for a player who is actually wearing short sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never saw this one before. The first wardrobe malfunction?

      Delete
  4. Armpit hair or not... I like the look of that card with the flag in the background.

    ReplyDelete