Tuesday, December 7, 2021

2021 Card-vent Calendar: December 7

December 7, 2021:
1995 Upper Deck Minors #91 Roger Bailey

This card has a lot going on.  The Super Soaker with backpack water tank is clearly the star of the show here.  But let's not discount Roger's bad-ass shaved sides.  This haircut died over 25 years ago, but its soul still walks the Earth in search of a high school sophomore ready to explain the connection between the works of John Locke and Nirvana's "Senseless Apprentice" (from the band's third studio album, In Utero) to his British Authors teacher.  And if that's too frighteningly spot-on a reference, I'll go easier on you with this next one.

The first thing that jumps into my head when seeing this card is the ending of The Boy Who Could Fly***SPOILERS*** for a movie from 1986 ahead, but if you're like me, you are picturing a pre-Wonder Years Fred Savage getting the best of a gang of bullies by spraying them with a water gun filled with dog piss.  It's easily been over 30 years since I've seen that part, but I can still enjoy one of the best villain comeuppances in movie history with that one.  I'd imagine Roger's weapon is filled with nothing stronger than high quality H
2
O. "Pew-pew-pew!"

1 comment:

  1. I have this card in my New Haven collection. IIRC on the back he's holding a ball with "hi Mom send $" written on it.

    ReplyDelete