Friday, June 4, 2021

Bidding Under the Influence #1

If you've been following me for any appreciable amount of time, you know that I am one to enjoy a beverage now and then.  Hey, I'm from Wisconsin, home of 12 of the top 20 drunkest cities in America.  Over the past five months, however, I've been more-or-less on a program to embody a healthier lifestyle.  I've lost over 25 pounds, in fact.  I was on the same sort of pace last year until the vacation my wife and I had planned was canceled.  Well, it's back on for 2021, scheduled to begin in a couple of weeks, and I would like to hit the beach in prime physical condition.  One of the tenets of my regimen has been limiting alcohol consumption to Friday nights (in general).

In an attempt to limit calories, I've recently taken a shine to Bang energy drinks (#NotSponsored).  They're great as a mixer, they have zero calories, and they have a bunch of fun flavors with words like "Unicorn" in the titles.  The problem, if you want to call it that, is that these drinks tend to keep me up way too late for my own good.  I might start off the night with a Bang cocktail, and then switch to some light beers, and before I know it, it's 2:30 in the morning and the birds are chirping.  And one of the side-effects of staying up so late, and the thrust of this article, is that I have found myself wading into the wee hours of eBay and making impulse purchases.  I have woken up in the morning, checked my email, and found a purchase order for something I only vaguely remember buying.  This series (hopefully a short one) intends to document these instances of Bidding Under the Influence (BUI).

Date: May 22, 2021
Time of Bid: 1:52:12 AM
Card: 2015 Topps Apex MLS #CJR-BF Benny Feilhaber Crest Jumbo Relic
Price: $4.00 (+ free shipping)

What Was I Thinking?:
Thankfully, my altered state of mind during these BUI situations contains a fail-safe that prevents me from spending more than a few dollars.  The price is definitely right for one of these jumbo swatch cards.  Am I a fan of Benny Feilhaber?  Not particularly.  He was a mainstay on the USMNT roster for several years, but there's nothing really drawing me to him.  I am pretty indifferent about Sporting KC, but they do have nice colors.  Powder blue swatches have always been a favorite of mine (see Yount, Robin).  I think I just have a good eye for a deal no mater the time or conditions, sobriety be damned.

*Disclaimer: All of the purchases in this series were made from the safety of my couch.  Don't ever drink (and bid) and drive.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work on the weight loss! Just make sure you don't drift off onto one of the major auction houses' websites when you're under the influence. That T206 Wagner might seem like a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A. Damn. Looks like Wisconsin is the place to be.

    B. My nephew is hooked on Bang energy drinks. Loves the different flavors.

    C. I had a similar situation... but instead of alcohol, my purchase involved Benadryl:

    https://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2014/04/dont-benadryl-and-bid.html

    ReplyDelete