Thursday, March 9, 2023

Bidding Under the Influence #25

Date: February 3, 2023
Time of Bid: 11:57:39 PM
Card: 1972 Topps #665 Chris Short
Price: $5.50 (+$4.95 Shipping)
What Was I Thinking?:
I understand the premium paid for 1972 Topps High Number cards.  Somehow I've always fallen ass-backwards into these, compiling a nice little collection without ever really intentionally buying one.  This one, however, I probably paid a bit too much for.  This purchase was made from a high-volume dealer, and I would have been wiser to pick up a bunch of these in order to make the shipping cost a much smaller part of the overall transaction.  But remember, this is a BUI, so decision making is taking a back seat.  It's a neat card of a man resembling a leprechaun wearing a shirt with a big, floppy collar.  It's good.

1 comment:

  1. Sometime around '86-'87-ish, my dad got a second job selling insurance. A "side hustle" before that was a thing. Anyway, through this job, I got to meet the Pride of Milford, DE himself, Chris Short. He told me 1985 Topps was a great "investment" and had 10 sets socked away.

    A year later, Short got an aneurysm and never regained consciousness.

    I think I still have that Chris Short autograph, somewhere.

    ReplyDelete